Saturday, June 7, 2008

Horst

It has been awhile since I've updated and that is pretty much due to the fact that I'm no longer in school and there hasn't been much work or discoveries to share as a result. So I thought I'd showcase a very talented friend of mine whom I've known since high school. His name is Chris Horst and he's been a metalhead for as long as I've known him. I remember one of my first encounters with him at Scarlet Oaks Vocational where I was listening to my walkman at lunch. He asked me what I was listening to. At the time I thought it was just a ploy on his part to make fun of whatever non-metal music I was listening to but in time I realized that he was truly interested in music. I was listening to Exit Planet Dust by The Chemical Brothers on a mix tape I had made. I recall him kind of scoffing and saying it sounded like video game music. I later wore a Depeche Mode t-shirt to school one day and we immediately began chatting about the band. He was not very familiar with their material but was interested in checking them out so I made him a tape. (haha it feels funny saying I made him a tape, I feel old) Thusly, this headbanger was introduced to electronic music. 

Chris has always had an eye for typography and is a master at using letter forms in creative ways. This fascination, of course, came from his love of metal and the lavishly illustrative album covers and logos the bands he loved had dawned. Recently, He has been honing his skills by giving away free metal logos to bands on myspace. In a little over three weeks he has designed logos for over 20 different bands, some more established as others. Why free? It's all about getting his name, and his own breed of self proclaimed "power sludge", out into the ears and eyes of fellow headbangers on the world wide web. He plans to eventually become legit and make some big bank off his work but until then he's honing his craft, networking, and making the world just a bit more metal. 

I challenged him to do a science fiction themed logo for my electro side project; Galaxy Kid. He accepted the challenge and I am very pleased with the outcome.

For more of his work, both visual and aural. Visit his myspace pages;
Beta Project (Chris' experimental electronic project)
Horst (Chris' one man metal band & free metal logos)

1 comment:

The Librarian said...

I've said it once and I'll say it again. I gotta meet this guy.

Best,
B&B