Monday, March 17, 2008

The Mary Onettes; Music From Scandinavia Vol. 1


I've been listening to a lot of Swedish indie pop recently, mostly from the Labrador label, and all I keep thinking is "Why isn't American music this good?" Many of the bands on Labrador are a perfect blend of pop, alternative, and shoegaze, sometimes even 60s doo wop and Motown. I stumbled upon this band called The Mary Onettes, they're sound is very unique of other bands on the label because it's much darker, yet pop as all get out. They vaguely remind me of Editors but with more of an 80s influence. There are many other great bands on the label, and elsewhere in Sweden, but I'll go into that later. This'll be the first installment of my Music from Scandinavia sub-series, starting.... now! For now here's a few selections from their self-titled album.

The Mary Onettes – s/t (Labrador)

01 Pleasure songs
02 Lost
03 Void
04 The Laughter
05 Slow
06 The Companion
07 Explosions
08 Henry
09 Under the guillotine
10 Still

No comments: