Thursday, April 10, 2008

Leaders of Men Revisited

I thought I'd go ahead and post the final (kind of) version of my Joy Division project. I say kind of because I'm not 100% happy with it and think it needs more work but it was due this morning so hopefully my professor doesn't feel the same way. All the characters in this composition were drawn by hand, scanned in, and vectorized the old school way in Photoshop and then exporting the work paths to Illustrator, which I think works loads better than auto trace in Illustrator.
As I said, I wasn't 100% happy with the illustrations so I started to redraw the characters in Illustrator but it ended up looking too clean especially when put next to the album cover artwork. I do, however think the clean version looks awesome on it's own. Here it is.

I feel like I really honed in on something with this project, perfected a technique that I've been dabbling with for awhile. So even though I don't feel like it's fully complete, I'm happy with it.

Oh and P.S.: The word "especially" has no "x" in it. Neither does "Et cetera." Thanks.

3 comments:

Alexander G. said...

I’m sure we’ve been over this before, but you have an awesome illustrative style. I’m particularly fond of one redrawn in illustrator. Too clean? It’s fucking tight!

Oh, and thanks for the spelling lesson.

Erin Curtis said...

What about 'ask' ev, does that have n 'x' in it? You're almost as bitter a me. And I love this project and think it looks pretty perfect to me. I wish I had a fraction of your talent :]

Anonymous said...

I have a soft spot for JD obviously. I love it.